African League: Plateau win, MFM draw, Akwa United lose

Plateau United started their campaign in the CAF Champions League on Sunday on a bright note. The reigning Nigeria Professional Football League champions defeated Eding Sport of Cameroon 3-0 in the first leg of their preliminary stage clash.

The match was played in Jos.

Elijah Ogene scored the opening goal for Plateau and turned out to be the only goal of the first half. After the break, very little changed, until towards the dying stages of the game when the Nigerians were able to get two quick goals to make it 3-0 at the final whistle.

With a 3-0 lead from the first leg, Plateau look good to qualify for the next round of Africa’s biggest club competition.

In away in Guinea, MFM also started well in another Champions League game securing a 1-1 draw against AS Real Bamako.

While Plateau United and MFM started well, it was not the same for Nigeria’s representative in the second tier CAF Confederation Cup, Akwa United FC.

The Uyo-based team began their campaign in Uyo on a losing note on Sunday, by falling 2-1 in the first round, first leg match against Hawks of Gambia.

The News Agency of Nigeria confirmed that the teams played on a wet turf following a heavy rain before kick-off at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo.

The Promise Keepers relentlessly raided the visitors’ area, restricting them in their own half but missed several scoring chances before the visitors stunned the home fans by scoring first.

The visitors, whose goalkeeper, Yankubu Calley, thwarted every move by the homers, recorded their first goal through Muhammed Jallow, in their first attempt at the homers goal area in the 11th minute.

Although the first goal was against the run of play, Lanin Charity also beat United’s goalkeeper, Ojo Olorunleke, with a powerful shot in the 35th minute to score the Gambians’ second goal.

The second goal scorer (Charity) plays for the Gambian national team, the Scorpions.

Akwa United who continued to swarm their opponents in the second half were rewarded in the 71st minute when Victor Mbaoma scrambled in their first goal to enliven the home supporters.

Thereafter, the Gambians defended stoutly while the homeboys continued to fritter several scoring chances.