Nigerian federation secretary denies statement on FIFA sanction
The General Secretary of Nigeria Football Federation, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi has denied telling any media organization that he was aware of defender Abdullahi Shehu’s ineligibility for the Algeria/Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier in Constantine last month.
He said, “I am shocked to be so copiously quoted in a national newspaper of Friday, 15th December 2017. The reporter even said I was aware of the player’s ineligibility among so many other things. I am disgusted because I did not say what the reporter attributed to me.
“The reporter called me and I told him that a panel has been set up to look into the entire matter of the negligence, recommend appropriate sanctions and make other recommendations that would forestall such an occurrence in the future.”
The NFF chief operating officer insisted that he was knowledgeable enough not to make statements on an issue for which an inquiry had been instituted.
NFF President Amaju Pinnick on Wednesday set up a four-man committee headed by Seyi Akinwunmi (NFF First Vice President) to thoroughly investigate the matter and submit a report, alongside their recommendations, within two weeks.
“I earnestly appeal to all Football Stakeholders, including the media, to allow the committee to do its work without making insinuations or dwelling negatively on the subject,” Sanusi added.