Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury could be pushed back to July
ANTHONY JOSHUA’s blockbuster undisputed heavyweight title fight with Tyson Fury could be pushed back until July.
The Sun reports that the biggest fight in the history of British boxing is on the brink of being announced following months of negotiations.
A two-fight deal, which will see both men split the purse from their first meeting evenly, was agreed last June.
Both parties had earmarked late June for the long-awaited Battle of Britain, although Fury’s co-promoter Bob Arum has revealed the bout could end up happening in early July.
The Top Rank Boxing chief told The Daily Mirror: “We’re nearly there.
“As far as I can ascertain, there are no issues separating the two sides. There has been consensus agreement in all issues.
“We hope very shortly that the fight will be signed. Then we will pick the site and we’ll be up and running.
“I’m looking towards late June or early July for the actual fight to take place.”
The news that Joshua vs Fury could take place in July is a huge boost for UK sports fans, who, from June 21 onwards, won’t be restricted from filling stadiums and arenas.
Arum’s update on the potential date for the fight comes a few days after he revealed the fine details of the £200million bout had been ironed out.
He told iFL TV: “Yeah as far as I am concerned. I’ve been working on it; all the points have been agreed to.
“That’s what each side has said. Now, we are scrambling around to get the thing signed and everything.
“But I can say clearly, based on my view on everything, that there are no more issues.”
Unified heavyweight king Joshua is champing at the bit to share the ring with his WBC counterpart and settling the long-running debate over who the best heavyweight in the world is.
SunSport understands an announcement for the blockbuster showdown is set to be made later this month.
A non-disclosure agreement has restricted both parties from discussing the fine details of the deal, much to the disappointment of many.